Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Giraffes, elephants, and driving - oh my!

They are very gentle animals. :)
 We went to the Giraffe Park and the Elephant Orphanage in Nairobi yesterday morning - here are some photos of the girls feeding the giraffes and the kids with the baby elephants.  :) We are learningthat there is a big movement here in Kenya to focus on conservation and the environment.... 


These two animal parks are focused on trying to propagate endangered species of giraffes (I never considered there being different species!) that were used as target practice in eastern Uganda/western Kenya during revolutions of the 1970's, and saving wounded or orphaned elephants.  The elephants are released into the wild once they are old enough.  There are also a couple of orphaned rhinos at the elephant orphange - note the warning sign outside their cage.  It is one of the few signs posted of dangers - there are random large holes in the sidewalks that are not marked and other pitfalls that you must look out for.





Giraffes running in the distance - totally unencumbered...beautiful!
Can you see the gray/purple tongue?
One of the smallest elephants....



Baby elephant drinking one of their 2 HUGE bottles of milk!

Rare warning sign - I was amused at this warning that was such an obvious risk, when the other dangers are unmarked!
Just to prove we were there. :)


Probably the most "exciting" part of the trip was the drive there and back!  Most of the roads were paved, and there is actually a lot of road construction, but this was a "shortcut" we took between the 2 parks.  The driver kept swerving back and forth from one side of the road to the other, in order to avoid the potholes.  And not like US potholes - you could lose a van in these potholes! 

We leave the guest house in Nairobi today and head to Machakos for 3 weeks.  We hope to have internet connnection, but we are still not sure.  Everything is an adventure here, and we are learning that we just have to wait and see!

Love,
Sarah

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His Word I put my hope.
Psalm 130:5

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Definitely not like north raleigh.

    Glad that you arrived safely. We miss you all so much

    Amy, Reji, Tara, Jordan, and Makena

    ReplyDelete
  2. the potholes there are legendary! So glad to hear nothing's changed! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jambo! Tell Emily that I have been both places! I am not sure if she saw the pictures on my phone during VBS. I was kissed by Sara the giraffe on a dare! It was fun. The elephant sanctuary is one of my favorite places I have ever been in my life. What an experience to see what the Dame has done. I just read her book and I highly recommend it. "Love, Life and the Elephants". It is quickly being passed around my family. Her grandparents were some of the first settlers In Kenya and the history the book offers is worth the read. She has amazing stories of how she has cared for animals since she was born.

    Love the blog! God bless you and the family. Mimi Brummitt

    ReplyDelete