Friday, September 7, 2012

Singin' the blues

This morning started out with the girls singing various songs while getting their shoes on to walk to school.  It digressed from the theme from Sleeping Beauty to a type of "Blues" about having a backpack that was "too stinking heavy!" haha!  In truth, the girls' backpacks are on the heavy side, and I have tried to help them carry them or lift up on them while they walk.  The source of the weight is this:
Well-supplied Titchie Library-I think the girls are racing to see who will read them all first!
Have I told you what a Titchie is?  I don't know.  ;)  The lower school is named Titchie Swot and, evidently, the origin and/or meaning of the name has been lost in history.  It is a funny name, though, and Rick has made good use of a play on words and likes to give the girls their own "Titchie swat" daily. :)

Lower school = Titchie Swot

So, back to the walk up the hill....how far is it?  I walked it today and counted my steps between my huffing and puffing.  It is 1,392  of my size steps from our walkway to the top of the Titchie steps, and that includes 113 stairs. Many of them are here...

This is a nice place to stop and chat with someone - time to catch your breath! :)

Is this climb worth 'singing the blues' about?  Not really.  Think about all the health benefits of the exercise and fresh air, the emotional benefits of spending time with each other on the way and seeing new friends on campus or in passing, and the spiritual aspect of enjoying God's breathtaking creation....the greatest show on earth!

View of the Rift Valley from  behind the Arcade (student store).

These are geraniums - planted as hedges!!

I'd have to consult Guinness, but this may be the world's largest cactus.

These are my favorite 2 photos, but I have to confess that I took them from my doorway...not walking to school.  This bird (help me with the name, bird people!) worked his way around and around the flower, putting his beak into each trumpet to get the nectar.  You can see his beak up inside one trumpet.
See the drop of nectar on the tip of his beak?
I'll tell you what makes me want to sing the blues.  There is a tribe that lives several hours northwest of here in East Pokot.  The AIC Kijabe church sent a group to work among them at the end of August.  My understanding is that the church is especially worried about the situation of the women and young girls there.  In this tribe, the woman's job is to build the house (yes, you read that correctly), raise the kids, and provide the meals.  The women feed the men, and then the women and children eat what is left.  If it rains at night and the roof is leaking, she is expected to stand over her husband and shield him from the rain while he sleeps.  There is no education for the girls, so they have no chance to escape their plight.  Poverty is rampant and ancient customs of mutilation are still in practice that bring more sorrow to these girls and women.   The group from the church here wants to teach the community about God's love for all people - Jesus set a new standard for respecting and caring for women, even in his days on earth.  The Bible is clear about honoring men and women as equal in God's sight, and think of the refreshing goodness that would come to a community such as that if they turned toward God and His plan for His creation.  Like He does for each believer, He can "make all things new."  (Revelation 21:5).  Please pray with me for the people, and especially the women and girls, of East Pokot and countless communities like them.

Love,
Sarah
Revelation 21:3-5
“Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.  He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”
 And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”






2 comments:

  1. Hi Gessners! What amazing photos...I am in awe of the 2 with the bird feeding on that gorgeous flower. I've had some extra time to catch up on your blog these past couple days and can't express enough how much I have enjoyed it. Sending prayers for your family and new community....ESP the tribe of E. Pokot.
    Love, Jamila

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the bird. It's a bronze sunbird. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Sunbird

    ReplyDelete